Join Community Running
Interested in trying out Community Running? Join us for a workout or two -- after two weeks, we ask you to join the club in order to continue to take advantage of our workouts and fun activities. When you are ready for a Trial or to become a member, click here to register or renew your membership.
Membership, including professional coaching, supported runs, and the use of the indoor track during the winter, is just $150 per year (that's $12.50 per month!). If you can't join us for the whole year, we also offer a half year membership, good for 6 months from your join date. Half year membership is $95. The membership fees pays for: MIT track rental (56% of budget), our coaches' fees (42% of budget), and website maintenance (2% of budget).
If you have questions, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions page or feel free to contact us.
If you need more reasons to join us, here is a list of some of our latest activities and benefits:
To begin, our workouts (which tend to involve some fun activity afterwards):
- Monday and Wednesday are coached workouts with our three, experienced coaches. We go for Mexican food after the Monday workouts and many times for pizza and beer after the Wednesday workouts (see Parties and Social Events below).
- We move indoors during the cold winter months.
- Water support for long runs (Charles River and Boston Marathon course): Every Saturday members coordinate to provide water support (financed by the club) for our long runs. Sometimes we even have candy and chocolate!
We try to organize "fun runs" once a month. These are some of the runs we've done in the past:
- Getting to Know Jamaica Plain
- Getting to Know Cambridge
- Freedom Trail run
- Trivia run: Coach Brian becomes Puzzle Master for the day.
- We've also had Trail Running and Rock Climbing Runs, a Red Sox Theme Run around Fenway Park, and a Minuteman Path Run in Arlington.
Participation in Races
We participate in team races. Some of the races we usually enjoy:
- Lake Winnipesaukee: We have had several teams run this scenic race in past years.
- Reach the Beach: We have had several teams almost every year since 2003.
- Hood to Coast in Oregon / Great Lakes in Michigan.
Parties and Social Events
We always have some sort of social event going on. Some of them:
- Holiday Party: each year we get together in January to welcome the new year.
- General Assembly: the only time the Board gets a bit serious.
- Pasta dinner before the Boston marathon.
- Beer and pizza at Crossroads on Wednesdays: Periodically, we go to Crossroads to replenish carbs after our Wednesday workout. On Mondays we go to Anna's Taqueria at MIT's student center.
- Monthly dinner outings. We rotate which evening to accomodate different schedules.
Once a year, we volunteer at one of MIT's track meets. It's a fun way to give back to the community.
And this is only a summary! Join Community Running today!